With the same software as in our physical computer labs, VDI provides a virtual Windows 10 desktop for each student when connecting. VDI works on- or off-campus (with VPN) and can be used from almost all of your computing devices.
Visit https://vdi.iastate.edu to download the client for Windows and Mac.
Install the client with all the defaults then follow the steps below.
- If off-campus, connect to VPN
- Windows/Mac/Linux users, navigate to https://vpn.iastate.edu then follow the instructions
- iOS/Android users, search for ‘Cisco AnyConnect’ in the respective stores then add a connection with vpn.iastate.edu as the Server Address
- Launch the VMware View Client
- Enter https://vdi.iastate.edu for the View Connection Server
- Enter your IASTATE NetID and password
- Select ‘Engineering Student’
When done using the VDI session you can exit via several methods.
- Start Menu > Logoff
- Start Menu > Shut Down
- Quit the VMware View Client
All sessions are automatically destroyed after 2 hours of inactivity or logoff/shutdown.
If you don’t see ‘Engineering Student’ once inside the VMware View client, chances are you’re not an Engineering student. Only registered Engineering students have access to this resource. If you are an Engineering student and still don’t’ see it, fill out our contact form and somebody will be in touch to help.